*RESPOND TO ALLAH ﷻ AS HE RESPONDS TO YOU*
*وَاِذَا سَاَلَـكَ عِبَادِىۡ عَنِّىۡ فَاِنِّىۡ قَرِيۡبٌؕ اُجِيۡبُ دَعۡوَةَ الدَّاعِ اِذَا دَعَانِ فَلۡيَسۡتَجِيۡبُوۡا لِىۡ وَلۡيُؤۡمِنُوۡا بِىۡ لَعَلَّهُمۡ يَرۡشُدُوۡنَ*
*(2:186) (O Muhammad), when My servants ask you about Me, tell them I am quite near; I hear and answer the call of the caller whenever he calls Me.*
*Let them listen to My call and believe in Me. perhaps they will be guided aright*
_This verse was revealed to tell us that Allah ﷻ is always there for us and always listening._
▪ Imagine a mother sent her soldier son to a battle. She is extremely hopeful of his return, so she says that *”when”* he returns, I will rush to welcome him.
The mother doesn’t say *”if”* because she loves her son unconditionally, and cannot even consider the possibility of her son dying and not returning.
▪ Allah ﷻ is more than a loving mother to us.
_*Allah ﷻ begins the Ayah by saying “when” “my” slave ask “you” about “me”, “Indeed I am near”.*_
_*Allah ﷻ is in anticipation of our call and calls us “my” slaves. He owns and loves us by saying عبادى, My slaves!*_
_Imagine that….. Allah ﷻ is the highest of the highest as our Rabb, and we are the lowest of the lowest as His slaves, but Allah ﷻ is there for us_
_*He also uses “me” instead of “us” to establish His closeness to us*_
▪ Allah ﷻ is so happy that He responds to the question directly, instead of responding through the tongue of Nabi ﷺ.
_*Allah ﷻ establishes a direct relationship with us, without the need of any intermediary or intercessor*._ (and the stupid among us invoke some awliya or saint or some pious one who themselves are in in need and mercy)
▪ Allah ﷻ says *انّى* to place emphasis and remove all doubts about whether He is listening. *قريب* has the internal meaning of “always” so Allah ﷻ has always been near and always will be near.
Allah ﷻ “never turned away” from us, but we are the ones who turn our back to Him
▪ _*I respond to the invocation of “the” caller “whenever” he calls me. اجيب means “to respond.”*_
_Allah ﷻ does not say استجيب which means to try to answer, or to respond over time, but Allah ﷻ says *اجيب* which means that Allah *”responds immediately”.*_
▪ Allah ﷻ responds to even the silent, unspoken duas in our hearts that have not even come upon our tongues yet.
▪ Allah ﷻ does not put any conditions for responding to our dua, but He “responds to every call,” even if it is a single call *دعوة*
▪ Anybody who calls, qualifies to be caller, even if he is not a Muslim.
▪ Allah ﷻ listens to us even if this is the first time in our lives that we are making dua to Him and remembering Him.
_*Don’t forget that Allah ﷻ has the right to be angry with us for neglecting His remembrance, but He still “responds immediately.”*_
▪ Some people lose patience and feel that Allah ﷻ does not respond to their duas, but Allah ﷻ “always responds” “immediately” with that “which is best” for us.”
_*Moreover, Allah ﷻ first mentioned His response, and then mentioned our call, which implies that Allah ﷻ is so eager to respond to us that He flipped the sequence in this ayah!*_…,,. SubhanAllah!
_*Also, note that Allah ﷻ says “the” caller الداع as if He knows every single one of us personally.*_
▪ It is very hard to gain access to any person of authority or importance in the dunya, but Allah has given each one of us so much importance that He calls us *”the”* caller.
*He identifies and recognises every single one of us.*
▪ _Allah ﷻ is closer to us than our jugular vein and can distinguish us from the millions of other people who may be calling Him simultaneously_
_If we are asked to listen and respond to multiple people simultaneously, we will not be able to make any sense or even recall their names!_
*Allah ﷻ also emphasises that He will respond whenever He is called i.e. immediately اذا دعان*.
▪ It is very hard to arrange an appointment with important people, but Allah is with us 24/7.
▪ *Allah ﷻ follows it by saying that let them فليستجيبوا “try to respond to me”.*
_Allah ﷻ values our niyyah and efforts, even if we are imperfect and unable to achieve the desired results._
▪ *When they respond to me, they should believe in me وليومنوا.*
_Allah ﷻ mentioned belief because some people lose faith and assume that Allah is ignoring their duas, so Allah is reminding us to have tawakkul and sabr_
▪ Trust in Allah’s plan, as His plans have the most khayr for us.
*Allah ends by saying يرشدون “that they may be rightly guided”*
_because those people who have such a strong reliance upon Allah, stay firm on Sirat ul mustaqeem_
_*Allah speaks to us through the Qur’an, and we communicate to Allah through dua, SubhanAllah!*_
▪ _This verse is placed after the Ayahs about Ramadan. Ramadan is specifically the month to reconnect ourselves to Allah through dua._
Dua is the most intimate conversation with Allah so we should call Allah ﷻ with presence of heart.
We should make dua with the belief that Allah ﷻ is “always”, “constantly” listening to us, and “waiting” for us to call upon Him.
*The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Du’a is worship.” [Abu Dawud].*